Sunday, September 23, 2012

How Do You Fill Your Cup?


I've recently been asked one of the most stressful questions that I've been asked in a while…again. What satisfies you as a person? What is your passion in life? Now the first time I was really asked this question it was: What fills your cup at the end of the day?

It has been explained to me that this is not supposed to be a stressful question or thing to figure out. Both Michael and my health coach, I’m sure, were not expecting me to burst into tears when asked these questions. But I thought I was happy before. I thought that things were going well and my day to day was working for me, apparently not. In both situations it became this moment in life when I had to face the fact that maybe I’m not actually happy just getting up and going to work every day, in spite of the fact that my jobs make me happy. I have two jobs where I help people and I feel good about what I do at the end of every day and they provide a bit of freedom to let me do other things with my life.

So how am I supposed to figure out what my passion in life is? Am I just going through the motions? Once again, I was told that this isn’t supposed to be stressful, it is supposed to fun to go and explore new things. I’ve never been an explorer or really someone to try new things. I’m not sure how this is supposed to work.

Yes, I do currently feel like I’m in a rut and I want to change something, like I’m waiting, but there are important decisions coming up and I’m excited about how those are going to change my life. Michael brought up a good point, while we were having this unintentionally intense conversation, that our vacation was something that filled my cup, moments in life were we could explore and find new things that made us feel great at the end of the day. Now I have been tasked with figuring out what that does for me every day and it feels like every day that I leave with this passion undiscovered I’m going to feel less satisfied and glass half empty.

Now I pose the question, how did you find your passion in life? How do you fill your cup at the end of every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment