Sunday, June 23, 2013

#31 Papaw

Definition

1. A deciduous tree (Asimina triloba) of the eastern and southeast United States, having flowers with three sepals, three petals, and numerous stamens and fleshy, edible fruit.

2. The fruit of this tree.

3. See papaya.

Story

I walked through the trees as Ryan followed close behind. He thought he was being stealthy, but I knew he was there. He had only been trailing me for the last mile or so. My mother must have sent him. She always worries when I leave home without Graves. She probably told Dad and since he is always curious about where I go, he sent Ryan instead of Graves. Ryan is stealthy and will report my adventures back to Dad. My brother would have just hunted me down and dragged me home. Well, this ruined my plan for the day completely, so instead of exploring the edges of the grounds, I'll stop at the lake and go for a swim. That will give Ryan something to report.

I don't think Ryan has ever explored this far outside the community. He usually stays pretty close when he isn't going on scouting missions. My dad and William keep the trainees pretty close to town for their lessons, until they go through the door for the first time. They usually try to find scouts who are adventurous, but cautious. I would think that they would explore the land we live in. But no one seems to care what exists outside the community. Except me.

From where I'm sitting I can see Ryan behind one of the trees to my right. I'm debating whether to say something or not. It would be fun to show him that he isn't as stealthy as he thinks!

"Have you ever tired the fruit off these trees?" He walked out from behind the tree holding a green fruit.

"No, why are you following me?"

"You really should try it. It is perfect when it is ripe. The seeds are a perfect complement to the fruit and the secret ingredient in your mothers holiday pheasant." He rambled on about the fruit as he turned it over and over in his hands.

"Did my father send you? He usually sends my brothers when he is tracking me."

"He didn't." Ryan answered discreetly.

"Then why are you following me?!" I wanted an answer and he was nowhere near revealing his true intentions.

"I wanted to see where you were going for myself."

"Why?"

"It isn't important for you to know that."

"Of course it is! You are stalking me."

"You don't need to know...I'm...keeping you safe."

"Safe from what? I've been out her a thousand times."

"I know. I've been out here with you."

"What? Why?"

"You can't know what is out here. Just come back home."

"What is out here?"

He stayed silent.

"I'm not going with you!"

"Okay." He turned and started to walk away. "But don't tell your parents you know about the fruit."

He left.

***

When I got home Ryan joined us for dinner. He made no indication of our interaction earlier, but he probably told my father everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment