Monday, September 22, 2014

Lord Slogar's Fine Fossil

Gloom Project #1
Character: Lord Slogar
Found a Fine Fossil
Was torn limb from limb

"Helena, please tell our guests the story." I wanted my guests to know my tale but fore the end of it.
"Of course, my Lord." Helena was always willing to tell it. I wouldn't have her without it.
"Lord Slogar wasn't always in such a delicate state. He was a man once. When we met he told me how much he loved to explore. He once adventured in to the sewers of New York city to find the giant lizard men rumor to inhabit their deepest caverns. Apparently during that excursion he found the skull of one of the creatures, but never a living one. No proof that they walked on two legs, but legitimate proof of their existence. That was one of the many adventures he told me about when we first met.
Helena always started it this way, just swapping out which of my previous excursions she fancied that day. She continued as our guests sat in silence. "In the summer of 1904 he was working with Mr. Osborn at a dig site in the southwest. He had been there on and off for a few years as the paleontologists were investigating fossils they had been finding."
"Helena, please clarify that they did not find anything of significance before my arrival in June." She couldn't forget that. It is the most importance part, besides her of course.
"It is critical to note that the paleontologists hadn't found anything of any significance before Lord Slogar's arrival,mostly bone fragments and unidentifiable pieces. For a few weeks they all walked among the desert hills only finding small pieces of animals long passed from this world. Sir showed up mid-June in then heart of the summer , some believed it to be the hottest day of the year. He walked work the men collecting dirt and sand in his traveling boots. They ate steak and potatoes for dinner every night, continuing to walk through the dust and sage brush when day. Lord Slogar was used to days of mundane being the salt to his pepper adventures, but this was becoming desolate and tasteless salt. He needed something more.
Lord Slogar chahed into the tent of my father, Dr. Osborn. The moment I saw him I knew that I would never forget that face. I had come along on my break from private school. This was risky due to my father's opinion of the sort of men who work for him. But they were fine when I wasn't visiting.  Otherwise, I was kept secluded from the corruptive men of his accompaniment. He was out visiting a man who had been injured on site when Lord Slogar arrived at our tent. We had a startling first interaction.
"Why are you hiding?" I had run behind the curtain where I kept my cot. He was a stranger after all.
"Because no one is supposed to know I'm here."
"Why?" He took a curious step forward, toward my hiding place.
"According to my father you are a filthy bunch of men." He was attractive to say the least. He took another step forward.
"That may be true for the rest of them, but I am not one of those men." Another step.
"Regardless, I think you should be going before he returns." Two more steps.
"But I have an urgent matter for him and, quite honestly, I would rather stay here and talk to you while I wait for him." He paused. "I'm Slogar, Lord Slogar." He bowed as he introduced himself.
"I'm Helena."
"I know. Your father has yet to stop talking about how proud he is of you."
"He is known to rant and rave since my mother passed. He doesn't have a lot to focus on besides me and his work. I think he was worried I was going to get into trouble when she was gone." It's true, it was hard for me when my mother died, but I made it through just like he told me I would.
"Do you mind if I ask, how did she die?"
"I do mind." I mind because most people think that my father killed her, but Slogar seemed to be asking with general interest, not gossiping harm. "She died at a dig site. My father had been trying to move a large fossil and his rigging system was unstable. She was guiding the fossil from the other side to ensure that it was replaced for optimal inspection -- she liked to look at all the small details. Too many crew men had destroyed the surfaces. So she liked to do this part herself -- the rigging malfunctioned and the fossil crushed her to death. There was nothing to be done, no way to move it in time. My father now oversees all of the riggings and placements when we pull large specimens."
"That is tragic. I am sorry for your loss." He was genuine in his remorse and stepped closer.
"Thank you, but you really should be going."
"I suppose you are right. I may have overstayed my welcome." He turned to leave, "please tell your father I stopped by and intend to speak to him tomorrow. Have a good evening." He left. He never told me what he spoke to my father about, but I did not see him again until after the accident.
Lord Slogar had been carefully tracing the land. He had noticed small variations in the placement of the small fossils that my father hadn't. He followed his instinct to the largest fossil find in recent history.
"Ma'am, I hate to interrupt, but are you telling us that he discovered the first tyrannosaurus?"
"Aaaaaaahhhhh! Why do they always assume that the tyrannosaurus is the most important fossil discovered? Do they know nothing of fossils and the history of man?" I had to interrupt Helena as well when my guests prove to be ignorant of my work.
"No, Lord Slogar discovered the first humanlike, but now would be considered an ancient alien like creature."
"What? That's not real." Lord Slogar was right. These 'reporters' were ignorant of his accomplishments.
"It was very real, but as they were pulling the fossil out of the ground the rigging failed. It landed on Lord Slogar. He almost had the same fate as my mother.
"When the rigging was repaired, it looked as though he had been into five pieces. My father noticed that he was still blinking. They rushed his head to the infirmary and called the doctor. I sat with him every day until his cousin came to see him. They didn't risk moving him, but his cousin was confident that he could keep his brain alive. They went through the remarkable procedure of removing it from his skull and placing it in the box you see on the mantel. I keep him there because he likes the warmth from the fire. We married once we realized that he and I could still communicate just as we did when he had his body.
"But now we get down to why you are here. I suspect you are not the reporters that you claim to be. You aren't like our usual visitors.
"Ma'am unfortunately for you, you are correct. We are here to finish what that boulder, or fossil you seem to think he found, didn't." They got up from their seats and pointed two pistols. One at me and one at the love of my life's brain in a box. They fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment